A Brief History of the Armidale Show Society
The Pastoral and Agricultural Society of New England was formed on 13 March 1865, and was the first Show organisation on the Northern Tablelands.
In 1875, the organisation was merged into the Armidale and New England Pastoral, Agricultural and Horticultural Association, and the Association held their first fair in February 1876.
The Armidale & New England Pastoral, Agricultural and Horticultural Association held its annual Show at the now-removed Market Square until the 1870s, and the Armidale Racecourse, until the late 1890s when it purchased the current Armidale Showgrounds on Dumaresq St.
After construction of the major structures on the showgrounds including the twin grandstands, the Pavilions and numerous others, the Showgrounds were then given to NSW Crown Lands.
Since then, the Society has held it's annual Agricultural Show and other events at the Showgrounds, while the management of the grounds has been undertaken by an elected Trust.
The Armidale & New England Show Society is a charitable, not for profit, community member based organisation that conducts the annual Ag Show, supplementary competitive events, training, workshops, networking and social events throughout the year.
The Committee of the Armidale Show Society Inc. believe that a group of dedicated people, working towards a common goal can accomplish anything that they set out to do.
In this spirit our goal is to provide an avenue for achieving Agricultural Excellence through competition and to Engage, Educate and Entertain our patrons and customers in safe, controlled but dynamic and exciting environment.
Every action that the committee makes should be made with our members and patrons in mind with the goal of preserving a Community Asset, that is the Armidale Showground, and a historically significant organisation, the Armidale Show Society.
Our objectives are:
If you are interested in becoming a member of the Armidale & New England Show Society, please complete and submit the 2023 Membership Form